I was looking through the Kitchen Kneads cookbook the other day and ran across this recipe. For some reason I had never noticed it before, but it sounded so good, I had to make it.
I was right. It's delicious. It has a very nutty flavor not only because of the nuts, but also because of the whole wheat flour. This is a recipe you need to make if you want a cheesecake, but don't want to take the time to make a full-size one. It will definitely satisfy any cheesecake craving.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup dried sugar cane
- 2 T milk
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 pan, set aside.
- In a mixer, combine brown sugar, flour, and nuts. Mix well. Stir in butter until combined. Reserve 1/3 cup of the mixture. Pat gently into prepared pan and bake for 12-18 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and dried sugar cane until smooth. Beat in remaining ingredients. Pour over crust.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and cut into 2-inch squares.