Popcorn balls are an old-timey Halloween tradition. I'm ashamed to admit, while I've always known what they are and that they are associated with Halloween, that I've never eaten one...until now.
Why I never made them until now is forever a mystery, but rest assured that they will now be a Halloween tradition for me and my family.
These are just shaped like pumpkins, not pumpkin flavored. I thought it would be fun to add some festive appearance to them because that's what I do. But you don't have to if you don't want to. You can certainly leave them white; they'll taste just as delicious.
Pumpkin Popcorn Balls
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 10 oz pkg. miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- Green candies for stems (optional)
- Orange food coloring (optional)
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot over low heat. Add marshmallows and brown sugar and stir until melted. Add orange food coloring if desired. Remove from heat
- Pour popcorn into pot; toss well. With buttered hands, shape into 2 1/2 inch balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheet to cool. Before completely cool, push green candies in the tops to create a stem.
*Recipe from Martha Stewart